Monday, December 13, 2010

Food Confessions For Thought

I have always kept a journal. It keeps all my secrets when I can trust no one. It does not judge me. I can say anything in my little book and lift the weight off of my shoulders with one stroke of my pen. It tells your story and can be the blueprint for the future. I imagine that I am writing to my future self because when I look back on my past journal entries, I can see how much I have grown. Our journals can heal or save us from our emotional selves.

The act of writing something down always makes it more real, more concrete than merely thinking it. When I see my thoughts on paper, or I make that confession that I couldn't tell anyone else, I am able to find ways to solve my problems just by seeing them in black and white ( I only write in black ink). Food journals work the same way. By listing all the foods that you eat during the day along with your snack, and  beverage intake,  you will see how you can make changes in your dietary life.

I guess your wondering why you may want to keep a food journal, especially if you don't keep a personal journal currently. If you are seriously considering a healthy lifestyle, tweaking in the form of a journal or keeping a record of what your are eating may be something worth trying. Our hair and body need the proper nutrients to operate at a maximum performance. Here are six reasons why you should keep a food journal

1. Account for all the "little" extras 
Even though you may eat healthy as a rule, poor snacking could be killing your diet.

2. Remind yourself you can have a treat or a reward.
Keeping track of your food intake over the course of a day or a week gives you the freedom to enjoy a treat once in a while without feeling guilty.

3. Be aware of when you are eating
Are you a late night snacker?  Do you miss meals during the day? remind yourself by tracking your constant progress.

4.Portion control 
You can still control your food intake, even if you don't own a scale. Write down that large order of pasta you ordered out the night before so that you can take future precautions.

5.See your habits changing
Seeing your personal growth over a period of time can be very motivating. Backsliding days can be adverted by looking at previous entries.

6. Boost your self-control
Knowing you have to write down everything you eat makes you think twice about eating certain foods.

You can find food journals at your local book store but you can just as easily use a note book. In the age of technology, blackberry and most media phones are installing applications for food journals too. I guess it would depend on what your needs are.  You don't realize what or how much you are eating until you write a food diary.

Healthy Hair Is A Lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment